Wednesday 4 September 2013

What the pigeon was doing

I was asked, a few weeks ago, by a Facebook friend, if I could provide a few photographs as 'writing prompts' for a creative writing challenge created by Word Bohemia. Of course, I was delighted to do so. The challenge began on 1st September, and two of the four images so far have been mine, which gives me an odd sense of vicarious fame.

Today's was a photo that always amused me - not least because I always wondered what the pigeon was up to when I took it (in a doorway in Norwich, if you were wondering). Now, thanks to the splendid Alan MacFarlane, I know. Completely inspired.



***

Coool

… 32, 33, 34 …

Let’s go there.
Admiralty Arch?
Yeah.
Are you serious?
Yeah, why not?
We spend most of every bloody day on that, that’s why not.
Alright then, what about up there?
On his hat I suppose?
No, don’t be daft. That would be too obvious. Besides it’s lunchtime, there’ll be a queue.
Bloody hell.
What?
Sometimes I wonder what damage all that pecking has done.
It was just a suggestion.
We were up there ten minutes ago, remember? That’s the first place he’ll look.

… 45, 46, 47, 48 49 …

We could jump buses for a while.
Too much effort.
National Gallery then?
Western European painting exhibition on. It’ll be packed.
South African Embassy?
Too political.
Charing Cross Monument?
It’s got to be somewhere in the square remember.
St Martins?
They’ve got the nets up. Bob got stuck earlier. Did I tell you about that? Funny story -
Yeah you did. Come on, we need to hurry.

… 58, 59, 60, 61…

Right, let’s think…
I know!
What?
Behind one of the lions.
Go on.
We stand out of sight then move round depending on where he is.
Finally a good idea.
Thanks.
But not good enough.
Guh. Why not?
Somebody’s bound to drop crumbs and I’ll get distracted.
Alright then smart arse. Where do you think we should go?
It’s obvious.
Is it?
Yeah.
Let’s hear it then.

… 73, 74, 75, 76…

We stand on that window ledge above his head.
That’s dafter than anything I’ve said.
You think so?
Yeah, isn’t it?
Listen, you know what he’s like.
What do you mean?
He always does things first and thinks later, right?
I suppose.
Well, what do you think he’s going to do when he stops counting?
I dunno.
Give me strength … He’ll take off, won’t he? Then he’ll start looking for us.
And we’ll be -
Right there where he won’t think of looking for us. Exactly.
Brilliant!
Let’s get over there.

(A SHORT WHILE LATER)

…89, 90, 91, 92, 93 …

Heh heh.
Shush.

… 96, 97, 98, 99, 100. Coming ready or not! (flap, flap, flap)

Brilliant.

***

No comments: